Thursday, April 29, 2010

Don't hate the brussels sprouts. They're delicious. Honest.

I know that this particular vegetable does not always delight others as it does me.. but in my experience, most haters have just had them over- or under-cooked.
If it has been more than 10 years, you have to give these a second chance.  Do you really think your tastebuds haven't evolved since you left home?  How can you be sure they weren't just undercooked?  Just try these, once, and check.  Then I'll let you off the hook.  I promise.  I just have to be sure first.
This is probably not how your mother made them.

Trim the base of each sprout, removing about 1cm of stalk so that the outer layer of leaves comes away easily.  There is no need to cut crosses into the stem, and I suspect this is one of the contributors to overcooked sprouts - they just don't need it (and it's extra work!)
Throw into a roasting dish or onto a baking tray with a lip (so they don't roll off!)  Stick to a single layer, don't crowd them.

Toss in a handful or two of whole (shelled) almonds.  Drizzle with oil, and a splash of balsamic vinegar, and shake 'em to coat.  

Pop into a 200C oven for about 10-15 minutes, shaking once.  They're ready when golden brown on at least one side, and the outer leaves are slightly transparent.
I can eat this many without sharing.  They're like candy.. but be careful, they're really hot when they come out of the oven, and I may have burned my mouth.  More than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment