Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Veggie Patch!


I am disproportionately excited about this, but... I have a vegetable garden!  After two years of scraping by on a few herbs picked from the balcony, I can start to grow normal-sized things again.  Well, one or two normal-sized things.  It's 1.2 metres square.


IMG_3079
 

The Little Veggie Patch Co. have created a Pop-Up Patch in the middle of Melbourne, and I love them for it.

IMG_3088

Just past Flinders Street Station, tucked in the back of the carpark in Federation Square...


Are a bunch of recycled apple crates.  But they are much more than just boxes of dirt, they are a focal point for a bunch of like-minded individuals who want a quiet spot in the middle of the noise to hang out, have a picnic, and get their hands dirty. 
There are city views out one side, and the river and Botanical gardens out the other.  At the far end I can see the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground).

DSCF0033

It makes me smile because I'm really growing things for the first time in AGES.  I planted seeds.  And I walk down to water them, and really just to see if they are up yet!  I know, I'm easily pleased.

DSCF0027

Everything I need is there - water, tools, advice - and I get a bunch of seeds and seedlings each season to choose from and plant.  My spot came with runner beans and passionfruit (win!) plus oregano and thyme, but I've also planted cherry tomatoes, basil, borage, eggplant, and watermelon.  I have corn ordered (they were out they day I set up), and a real tomato plant to pop in this week (Thanks Wendy & Toby!)

DSCF0030   

..but mostly, I have dirt with green things in it!

DSCF0029   

..and a pretty nice walk home.

IMG_3076   

No comments:

Post a Comment