Sunday, June 9, 2013

Coconut & Lime Panna Cotta

Panna Cotta is still one of my favourite desserts when the weather is warm.
...which it is not at the moment, but I've found a few old photos and I'm going to share them with you, and dream (and my Northern Hemisphere family can make this!)

Coconut lime panna cotta

The basic rule is to keep your liquid-to-gelatine ratio in line with your favourite panna cotta recipe (or the instructions on your gelatine packet), then you can mess around with what kind of liquid you use.  Instead of the traditional milk and cream, it is common to substitute yoghurt - or as I've done here, coconut milk - for the cream.  This gives a different flavour, but also drops most of the fat content.
I've learned not to use cocunut cream as the higher fat content means it just sets solid, and is very unappealing (cold coconut cream has a waxy, fatty consistency - nothing like the smooth, soft panna cotta you are after!)

To make it a little fancy, I poured a little lime jelly (lime juice, dissolved gelatin, a touch of sugar, and a half-drop of green colouring) to the tops of the moulds, let set, and then poure the panna cotta mix on top.  Serving with green fruit salad (kiwi, melon, and grapes) and Australian finger limes (like tangy caviar) rounded it out.

A hit, I'll make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment